WHY ARE THE ARTS IMPORTANT FOR MARYLAND?
In a competitive, twenty-first century global environment, the arts:
- Enhance the quality of life for all Marylanders
- Celebrate the rich diversity of our cultural achievements
- Support quality education for our school children by raising academic achievement, fostering positive work ethics, and improving attendance.
- Build communities that will attract and retain an educated, creative workforce.
- Raise the regional, national, and international visibility of Maryland.
- Attract cultural tourists to the State
- Drive much needed economic development
- Provide job growth, foster consumer spending, and generate tax revenues
State funding leverages effectively by the arts. Each year, all grantees raise and earn the remainder of their budgets, ranging between 91% and 93.5% from 1999 to 2013. Every dollar invested by the State of Maryland has been matched better than nine to one.