Accepting submissions now until March 20.
Finding a new passion
The Beacon newspaper’s first Celebration of the Arts inspired local amateur artists over 50 to submit more than 900 works in our online arts competition in 2018. Many participants and winners were newcomers to the fine arts, and all showed a passion for their work. We are pleased to continue – and expand – the Celebration of the Arts competition in 2020 with even more categories.
* Painting: any one-dimensional work on any flat surface in watercolor, acrylic, oil paint or other paint or dye
* Drawing: any one-dimensional work on any flat surface in pen and ink, charcoal or pastel
* Sculpture/Carving: molded, cast, carved or assembled from stone, wood, metal, found objects or other hard materials
* Ceramics/Pottery: hand built, pinch, slab, coil or wheel-thrown earthenware, stoneware and porcelain
* Mixed Media/Textile: three-dimensional objects other than sculpture, as well as works including, but not limited to, quilts, rugs, tapestries and wall hangings
* Stained Glass/Jewelry: jewelry, glass art, leaded windows, lamps, glass vessels and mosaics
* Photography/Digital: any images taken with film or prepared digitally, including abstract and other images manipulated using software
Cash prizes will be awarded to first, second and third place winners in each category. All winners, including honorable mentions, will be invited to participate in our Winners Gallery show anticipated in the month of May 2020.